|Position Overview-||JOB SUMMARY:
The Director of Technology provides leadership for short and long-range planning for all technology initiatives including the IT vision, goals and objectives. This includes leadership in identifying appropriate hardware and software to ensure systems are consistent and align with operational and instructional needs. The Director is also responsible for the development, implementation, operation, monitoring and evaluation of the IT infrastructure to ensure a best-in-class system that supports the School’s operations. The infrastructure includes the hardware, software, and data storage systems; e.g. platforms, network equipment, telecommunications, data security. The Director works collaboratively with other administrators to identify application, content and computing platforms that support and allow for the seamless flow, processing and analysis of data; this includes the integration of technology in the ongoing instructional program. The Director ensures that systems are integrated to maximize efficiency of both operational (e.g. Finance, Human Resources, Facilities Management) and educational needs (e.g. Student Information System, student learning data, admissions).
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Leadership, Innovation and Vision
● Responsible the development and implementation of the School’s IT vision to ensure a best-in-class system that allows for innovation and aligns with and supports short and long-term goals and objectives.
● Collaborate with relevant stakeholders in the development of the vision to ensure system and application needs are considered in its development.
● Define the overall IT governance (e.g. leadership, structures, processes) to enable the School to make informed decisions.
● Assess and prioritize IT initiatives and system enhancements to ensure overall objectives are met.
● Collaborate with the leadership team to ensure technology initiatives are regularly reviewed and assessed for effectiveness and alignment with the school’s & divisional goals.
● Research and identify appropriate hardware and software that supports the efficiency of the School’s operations and the seamless flow of data and information.
● Research, preview, and recommend new and emerging technologies, software, and hardware solutions that support the efficiency and effectiveness of the School’s academic and administrative operations and the seamless flow of data and information.
● Review, assess, and implement improvements to and/or new ICT standards, procedures, and policies to ensure best practices are employed and the smooth, uninterrupted operation of the systems.
● Use traditional and non-traditional/creative approaches to problem solving to support the system’s continuous improvement and respond to user needs.
● Lead the professional development of IT staff to build and maintain a strong team with the necessary skill sets.
● Supervise and mentor the IT Manager in his/her supervision of the IT team including the deployment of work amongst the staff, cross-training and ensuring appropriate coverage in all areas.
● Collaborate with the Educational Technology Coaches in the application of technologies to ensure the ICT systems support student learning and alignment with the School’s IT vision.
● Work with Principals and Technology Coaches to integrate technology in the ongoing instructional program by identifying strategies and materials and implementing activities for integration.
● Analyze and make recommendations on the resolution of administrative, organizational and operational problems as they relate to IT by using traditional and non-traditional/creative approaches to problem solving to support continuous improvement.
● Supervise technology related projects to ensure their successful implementation.
● Implement a responsive, time-sensitive approach to address user needs and queries.
● Provide ongoing evaluation and enforcement of IT policies, procedures and documentation.
● Assess and improve training programs and documentation on new and revised systems.
● Implement a process for reviewing applications and other educational software prior to adoption to ensure R1-12 alignment, availability of end-user support, and their integration to facilitate optimal data collection and analysis where applicable.
● Provide ongoing evaluation of the IT infrastructure to ensure downtime is minimized and data is secure from cyberattacks.
● Research and stay abreast of new developments in cyber security to help inform necessary improvements to the system’s security.
● Manage and serve as the liaison with cybersecurity consultants.
● Assess recommendations from consultants and provide advice on procedural and/or other changes required to improve the system’s security.
Budgeting and Fiscal Responsibility
● Develop an IT budget for short and long-term needs (e.g. personnel, hardware, software, maintenance) that aligns with the School’s strategic plan and goals.
● Ensure IT purchasing decisions are made in accordance with an approved procurement matrix and internal controls (e.g. tenders, vendor quotations, closed bidding processes).
● Monitor IT expenditures to ensure they remain within budgeted parameters.
● Ensure the security of technology assets through adequate controls and an inventory system.
● Participate in Board and other meetings and contribute on behalf of IT.
● Perform other duties as may be required to support the School’s operations.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
● Bachelor of Science degree in computer science and/or a related field; advanced degree preferred.
● Additional degrees and/or certification in educational leadership a plus
● 10+ years in a leadership role with responsibility for the overall ICT systems of a medium to large organization
● 10+ years leading technology planning efforts including activities to develop, implement, and evaluate ICT system plans and initiatives.
● 10+ years leading a team of 15+ colleagues with accountability for annual goals and objectives.
● Major change management experience using a collaborative process and driving initiatives to a successful conclusion within timeline and on budget.
● Experience formulating departmental policies and procedures
● Experience with designing and securing ICT systems
● Demonstrated competence in leading diverse teams/committees on special projects and/or initiatives.
● Experience working with and contributing to senior leadership discussions to help inform decisions.
● Experience working in an educational setting preferred; leadership with educational technology for faculty and students a plus.
Skills and Attributes:
● Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to garner cooperation and build a team.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders and in critical situations.
● Ability to discern relevant information to address and resolve highly complex problems while considering different perspectives and user needs.
● Mastery in creative and adaptive program planning design, implementation, maintenance, and evaluation.
● Strong analytical ability and critical thinking skills.
● Ability to interpret and apply complex technical information to inform decisions.
● Deep understanding and knowledge of infrastructure requirements and components of networks, internet, intranets.
● Self-motivated with a strong commitment to continuous improvement and ongoing professional development.
● Ability to develop and implement a vision for ICT.
● Deep understanding of technology’s critical role in the success of an organization.
● Ability to be held and to hold others accountable.
● Understanding of school applications (e.g. PowerSchool, Schoology, Seesaw, Google suite) a plus.
As a school grounded in the Christian faith, we hire Christian teachers and administrators as well as those of other faiths. HKIS seeks to hire candidates who are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality and who are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.